You’ve walked around the block ten times. You’ve drunk more water than your stomach can hold and you’ve eaten the big steaks, yet you still can’t curb your cravings.
And on top of everything, you’re stressed out and do a lot of emotional eating because those darn cravings just keep getting the better of you.
This may well be because you are nutritionally deficient in some way and may need a little outside help in the form of supplements. Certain supplements can support and enhance your neurotransmitter and brain functions. Several supplements are available to help you balance out your vitamin and mineral levels.
Try out some of these supplements to bring your cravings under control:
- Magnesium regulates glucose and insulin levels, as well as the neurotransmitter dopamine. A deficiency will cause intense sugar cravings, especially for chocolate. Many brands of magnesium are available to supplement your intake.
- Zinc helps the body metabolise insulin and glucose. A deficiency can cause sugar cravings.
- L-glutamine is an amino acid that balances blood sugar, which helps reduce and even stop cravings. You can take it with your meals or even take some the moment a sugar craving rears its head. A little bit on the tip of a spoon should do the trick and stop the craving in its tracks.
- Gamma-aminobutyric acid and D-phenylalanine are supplements that soothe the mind and in this way help reduce carb cravings and emotional bingeing.
- Chromium picolinate is a typical nutrient used in dietary supplements. It may help reduce hunger, cravings and binge eating.
- Vitamin B complex helps metabolise carbohydrates. In other words, it improves the utilisation of what carbs you do eat. That way, you don’t feel the need to eat more than you need.
- Resveratrol is found in red wine. It improves your body’s ability to absorb glucose into muscle tissue. This helps store energy, which reduces the need, and therefore craving, for sugar.
- Fish oil enhances insulin sensitivity. As such, it is good for appetite control and it also helps curb carb cravings.
- Lipase often needs a top up in people whose blood sugar tends to fluctuate a lot. A deficiency may contribute to sugar cravings. It also helps break down and burn fat.
- Lipoic acid helps stabilise blood sugar and speed up carbohydrate metabolisation. It is usually an ingredient in antioxidant supplements.
By Linda Cilliers
The Content on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.